Amos Sturgis Chapter

 

 

 

CHAPTER HISTORY

Martha Sturgis Brown was the motivating spirit in the organization of Amos Sturgis Chapter. To honor her revolutionary ancestor Captain Amos Sturgis, chapter members chose to name the chapter after him. Captain Amos Sturgis service was in Pennsylvania between the years 1776 -1780. The Sturgis heritage in Michigan begins in the late 1820’s when Amos’ son John Sturgis settled in the St. Joseph Valley in Michigan. John Sturgis later became Judge John Sturgis and in 1857 the legislature passed a law to replat and combine two communities into one and to rename the new town Sturgis. Today, the City of Sturgis maintains the site of Judge John Sturgis’ original home site which can be seen at Pioneer Park.

 

Amos Sturgis Chapter was organized on February 4, 1922 with 16 members. Four of those members were descendants of Amos Sturgis: Martha Sturgis Brown, Henrietta Sturgis Flanders, Myra Sturgis and Hannah J Kelley. The first Regent was Bertha Miner Packard (Mrs. James). Throughout the history of this Chapter, there has always been a descendant(s) of Captain Amos Sturgis in the chapter.

 

The Chapter began modeling the National Society’s objectives (historic preservation, education and patriotism) by their welfare work and scholarship fund raising. Locally and elsewhere, the chapter continuously supplied books, records, fruit, jelly, quilts, clothing and many other gifts where the need seemed greatest. They raised $100.00 to fund a Scholarship and had a 100% subscription to the University of Michigan Scholarship Fund in memory of the World War veterans.

 

The Chapter has continued the legacy of the Society’s objectives by their cash donations to hospitals & schools, donations of clothing and gifts to the needy and veterans, presenting/donating flags to schools and civic organizations, placing markers on graves, sponsoring Good Citizens awards, sponsoring State Conferences & Regional meetings and participating  in the Naturalization Court Ceremonies, just to name a few.

 

In 2012, the chapter celebrated its 90th anniversary.

 

CITY HISTORY

In 1827, Judge John Sturgis came to the St. Joseph Valley area in southern Michigan territory and settled in what is now Sturgis. The original site of his home can be seen at Pioneer Park, maintained by the City of Sturgis. The area's population grew in size and, in 1896, the town became a city. Sturgis is the home of the Abbott Nutrition division of Abbott Laboratories and was once the home for Kirsch Company. Located in Sturgis is Burr Oak Tool Inc, which claims to be the largest producer of fin lines, fin dies, expanders, benders, and single-tube cutoff machines in the world, and just north of Sturgis is Kirsch Municipal Airport.

 

Sturgis is a sister city to Wiesloch, Germany.

 

 

The DAR Insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by,
 the  National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR,
the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.